Friday, July 8, 2011

A Short Surf Session, testing the Onno Gas Pedals

A short 45 minute session in some perfect gentle surf off Dolls Point, running the new Onno Gas Pedal system through it's paces. One thing this foot bar system does give you is instantaneous ski-like responsiveness from the rudder, so important when you're running down sea in a ruddered design. The fit wasn't perfect but I need to have another go with a few variations on footwear, set up etc. It's not something I've ever had to worry about in our skeg boats so don't let anyone tell you that ruddered paddling doesn't come with a whole lot more complication & potential for failure! 
I've left all of this stuff so late so it's a bit nerve wracking getting it right when day one of the trip is so committing, and only now 10 days away, but hopefully by cast off it will have all come together. 
The long flat patch in the middle of the session below was a pod of 40 dolphins which cruised past. I'm not so focussed on North Reef that I can't stop & enjoy a few minutes when there are dolphins diving under & over your boat! Pure magic.
The nice long surf runs in the Taran were also pure magic, the boat seems to catch everything & then once it begins to plane your speed just rockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment