The Taran is over at Rob's having the final fit out done, so I took out the brand new Epic 18X on a freezing morning with gale force westerlies forecast. To say I froze my bum off is an understatement, as I headed inland to try to shelter from the wind. More perfectly laid plans - I got an incoming tide with a 15kn headwind all the way up the river, then had the wind drop completely as I turned east, with the incoming tide by now cranking, then had the front hit with 30kn gusts up my clacker over the last 3km, by which time there were small standing waves opposing the wind. At one stage I was riding a tiny wind wave feeling like I was going pretty quick, & looked down at my GPS reading 6.6kmh! If you use the 'Player' feature on the Garmin site below you can see the variances in speed over the course.
Total distance was about 25km (forgot to turn on the GPS until I got to the Captain Cook Bridge….)
Looking forward to a proper hitout in the Tarans tomorrow with Rob & Chris, despite the gale force westerlies continuing until Thursday. We're going to sort out any teething problems with our new Onno Gas Pedals & the carbon sail bracket we've had made to house Mick's small safety sail. Should be fun in a gale, we're making sure there is a lee shore….
No comments:
Post a Comment